Chicken Biriyani :
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Chicken Pieces – 3/4 kg
Yogurt (curd) – 1 cup (beaten)
Onion – 3 sliced
Tomato chopped – 1 medium or 1/2 cup Tomato Puree
Red Chilly Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 2 tsp
Green Cardamom – 6
Star anise – 3
Cinnamon Stick – 3 inch
Bay leaf – 4
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Warm Milk – 1/2 cup
Saffron – a pinch
Salt to taste
Ghee / Oil – 7 tbsp
Grind to Paste:
Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
Garlic Paste – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1/4 cup
Mint Leaves – 1/4 cup
Green Chillies – 3 -4
Green Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp
Mint Leaves (Pudina) – 2 tblsp
- First make a fine paste of all the ingredients under the Grind to paste using a tablespoon of water.
- Mix tomato puree, yogurt, green paste made earlier, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. Stir well.
- Marinate the chicken with this mixture and keep aside for 3-4 hours in refrigerator.
- In a small bowl take the warm milk and soak the saffron in it and keep aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan. Add the whole spices and saute for 30 secs then add sliced onion. Fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now add the beaten curd and chopped tomato and cook further till the oil separates.
- Check the salt at this stage and add the salt if needed.
- Now add the rice and mix well with soft hand as not to break the rice grains.
- Add 4 cups of water to the rice. Mix saffron in milk and add to it.
- Cover the lid and cook on low flame till the rice is done.
- Take it out on a rice platter.
- Garnish with green coriander and mint leaves and serve hot. This chicken biryani goes well with mixed vegetable raita.