Ghee rice :
Kaima (Jeerasala) Rice – 1.5 cups
Water – 2.5 cups
Bay leaf – 1
Star anise – 1
Mace – 1
Green cardamoms – 4
Cloves – 4
Cinnamon stick – 2 inch
Green chilies slit – 3
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1 thinly sliced
Cashews – 2 tbsp
Raisins – 2 tbsp
Salt as needed
- Soak rice for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker or a pan with ghee. Fry cashews till lightly golden, add raisins and stir up. Set them aside in a plate.
- To the same pan, add onions and fry till golden to make the bistha. These onions are used for garnishing and they add flavour to the rice.
- Add little more ghee and add in bay leaf, 1 star anise, 4 to 6 cloves, small cinnamon stick and a strand of mace. Fry for a min. Add 2 sliced green chillies and fry for a min.
- Add rice and fry on a medium flame for about 3 to 4 minutes, stir to avoid burning.
- Pour water and salt. Cook the rice till fully done. If making in a pressure cooker allow the cooker to whistle once on a medium flame.
- Garnish with raisins, cashews, fried onions and coriander leaves