A sweet Indian ice-cream made from milk, sugar, cardamom and dry fruits (no condensed milk recipe). This is a best Indian dessert that kids love in hot summer days. Instead of buying ready made stuff which has artificial flavoring agent, follow this simple recipe and make kulfi at home with pure organic flavors.
Pista Kulfi is a very popular Indian ice cream. Kulfi comes in a variety of different flavors. Traditional kulfi is flavored with cardamom; this recipe is flavored with cardamom and pistachios.
Malai Kulfi / Kesar Pista Kulfi recipe:
Full fat milk – 1.25 lts
Powdered Sugar – 1/3 cup heaped
Cardamom – 4, powdered
Pistachios – 8, roughly chopped (optional)
Saffron – few strands, soaked in a tbsp of warm milk for 10 mts
- Heat milk in a wide bottomed pan and bring to a boil.
- Allow the milk simmer on medium flame till it reaches half its original quantity.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Add powdered sugar, cardamom powder and roughly chopped nuts.
- Mix well and keep simmering on medium flame, stirring till it further reduces to almost one third of its original quantity.
- Turn off flame and allow to cool.
- Once cool pour the mixture into kulfi moulds and close the lids.
- Place the kulfi moulds in the deep freezer and allow to set overnight or at least 7-8 hours.
- Once the kulfi sets, place the kulfi mold in luke warm water for a few secs to help it unmould easily.
- Insert ice cream stick in the kulfi and serve. You can garnish with more nuts.