Aloo Bhujia / Potato Sev Recipe – a popular crisp savory snack made from mashed potatoes, besan flour and spices. You could make them as a Diwali snack or make as a side snack for kid’s. These are quite easy to make home also you could make in bulk quantities and then store them for future use.
Potato sev is a spicy Indian deep fried snack consisting of small pieces of crispy noodle shaped snack. This can be easily eaten as it is for evening snack with masala chai or can be combined with any chat recipes.
Potato Sev/ Aloo Bhujia Recipe :
Besan (gram flour) – 1 cup
Potatoes – 2 medium sized
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Garam masala powder – ¼ teaspoon
Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
Amchur powder (dry mango powder) – ¼ teaspoon or ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
Salt as per taste
Chaat masala – ½ teaspoon
Asafoetida (hing) – 1 pinch
Mint leaves – 10
Oil for deep frying
First boil 2 medium potatoes till they are thoroughly cooked and mash them very well with a vegetable masher.
Heat a pan and add mint leaves and roast the leaves till they wilt and become crisp. remove and crush the mint leaves in a mortar-pestle to a fine powder.
To the mashed potatoes, add all the spices, salt and the crushed mint leaves and mix very well.
- Seive 1 cup besan or gram flour directly over the potato mixture.
- Gently mix and start forming a dough. The moisture from the potato is enough for binding the dough.
- The dough is slightly sticky. Cover the dough and keep aside.
- For making aloo sev, you need to use the disc with small fine holes. Grease the top of the this disc with some oil.
- Roll the dough and gently place it in the sev maker mould.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a pan. In the oil, directly press the sev maker to make sev. Move in circular motion so that the sev is evenly distributed.
- Flip over and fry the other side.
- Keep on frying till the color of sev changes to golden.
- Take out the sev from oil and place it on kitchen paper towels to absorb extra oil.
- Serve these crispy potato snack with tea.