Rava Kichadi or Khichadi is one of the most famous Breakfast recipe in South India. It can be easily made at home with Rava (Sooji), Vegetables and Spices. It is really a mouth-watering dish that can be served for any meal of the day. You can enjoy it at the time of breakfast, lunch or even at dinner. I generally like to make it at the time of breakfast and we all enjoy this with a cup of tea.
Veg Rava Upma/ Rava Kichedi – Semolina/sooji kichadi recipe:
Semolina or sooji -1 cup
Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
Green chilli – 2 finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
Carrot – 1 medium size(finely chopped)
Fresh/frozen Peas -10-15
Tomato – 1 small (finely chopped)
Beans – 4-5(finely chopped)
Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 1-2
Coriander leaves – few(finely chopped)
Curry leaves – a sprig
- Dry roast sooji until hot to touch.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai, add mustard seeds, when it sizzles, add urad dal, red chillies and curry leaves.
- When urad dal turns golden brown, add finely chopped onions and sauté till it becomes transparent.
- Add ginger, green chillies and saute a for a few more minutes.
- Add all the vegetables and cook covered for 2-3 minutes. (Do not over cook).
- Add 2 cups of water, needed salt and bring it to boil. When water starts boiling, add ½ tsp of ghee. Taste the water to check for salt.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the sooji/rava gradually with one hand and stir continuously with the other hand, so that it does not form lumps.
- Cover and cook on low heat. Once the water is absorbed, mix well and cook covered on low heat for 6-7 minutes, stir in between. Now add corianer leaves an mix well.
- Delicious Rava Vegetable Upma is ready to be served. Serve hot with any chutney.