Authentic Indian Chicken Tikka Masala is prepared with pieces of chicken, marinated with spices and yogurt and grilled over a charcoal fire to give it a lovely smokey flavour.
The chicken tikka masala known today is a curry dish in which roasted chicken chunks (tikka) are served in a rich orange, creamy, lightly spiced, tomato-based sauce.
This Chicken Tikka Masala recipe helps you achieve that restaurant-made taste in a few simple steps. All it takes is pieces of chicken, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste or puree, garlic, few spices and herbs, fresh cream and lots and lots of love. The creaminess of the gravy, softness of chicken and the smoky flavour, all combine to give you a dining experience you will remember forever. Of course, the magic of your hands adds on the extra oomph to the dish! Serve it with naan or laccha paratha. You can also serve it with a bowl of rice and it will taste just as amazing.
Easy Chicken tikka masala- Restaurant Style
Garlic cloves – 6 finely grated
Ginger – 2 inch finely grated
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2tsp
Cumin powder – 2tsp
Whole-milk yogurt – 1½ cups
Salt to taste
Boneless chicken breasts – 1 kg
Vegetable oil or ghee – 3 tbsp
Onion – 1 small thinly sliced
Tomato paste – 1/4 cup
Cardamom pods – 6 crushed
Chilli flakes – 1/2 tbsp
Tomato – 2 finely chopped
Heavy cream – 2 cups
Fresh cilantro – 1/2 cup chopped
- Combine garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, and cumin in a small bowl.
- Whisk yogurt, salt, and half of spice mixture in a medium bowl; add chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover and chill 4-6 hours.
- Heat ghee in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, tomato paste, cardamom and chilli flakes and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft, that is about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining half of spice mixture and cook, stirring often for about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often until sauce thickens, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add cream and chopped cilantro. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, for about 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile grill the chicken using grill. Preheat a grill for high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade.
- Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.
- If have no grill then grill the chicken using tawa by spreading oil on top of chicken pieces.
- Turn each side once and while to avoid burning. Grill for atleast 6 – 8 mins
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, add to sauce, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Tasty tikka masala is ready.
Serve with rice.