Unniyappam or Unni Appam is a traditional Kerala sweet snack made from flour, banana, jaggery, coconuts and deep fried in ghee or oil. This is an instant recipe where you don’t want to wait till the batter gets fermented. So get into this instant snacks recipe.
Instant Unniappam Recipe:
Coconut – 1/2 Cup (chopped into small pieces)
Jaggery – 1 Cup
Water – As needed
Rice flour – 1 Cup
Whole wheat flour – 1 Cup
Ripe Banana – 2 small (palayankodan or any small banana)
Salt – a small pinch
Baking Soda – a large pinch
Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Roasted Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – For frying
- First heat a small pan. Add 1/2 tsp ghee. Roast the chopped coconut pieces until it turns slightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate and let it come to room temperature.
- To the same pan, add the jaggery along with 1/2 Cup of water.
- Heat in medium flame until the jaggery is completely melted.
- Filter the jaggery syrup through a fine metal mesh strainer and let it come to room temperature.
- Add rice flour, wheat flour, melted jaggery, bananas, salt and cardamom powder to the mixie.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add water if necessary to get the consistency of a idly batter.
Now, add baking soda, roasted sesame seeds and roasted coconut to the batter and mix well until combined.
- Now heat the unniappa chatti/ pan with some oil in each hole and fill 3/4th of the hole with prepared batter.
- Cook in low-medium flame until small holes appears on top and the side turns golden brown.
- Now flip the appam using the spatula or spoon and cook the other side until they are fully done.
- Check by inserting a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean, with no raw batter sticking to it. ( If you have no unniappam pan then u can directly deep fry in any kadai by pouring a tbsp batter)
Transfer to the serving plate and enjoy hot.