I always stock up dates/ Enthapazham in my refrigerator. I eat them just like that or make shakes and often make my favorite dates cake in caramel sauce, the yummiest cake of all. So, this time I wanted to try something different with my dates. So I coated dates with the batter and gave them a deep fry, it came out perfectly crispy and yummy. Dates itself is sweet and soft, when deep fried it got a caramelized taste which enhanced the taste of the dates remarkably. In no time you get to enjoy dates fritters/ tempura/ Eethapazham mukki porichadhu.
Whole Dates (deseeded) – 20
All-purpose flour or Maida – 6 tbsp
Rice Flour – 2 tbsp
Baking soda – 2 pinch
Salt – a pinch
Sugar – 1 1/2 tbsp
Water – to make a thick batter
Oil – for frying
- Combine all purpose flour, rice flour, baking soda, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Add water to the flour mix and make into a thick batter.
- Put the dates into the batter, coat it evenly with the batter.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Fry the dates coated in batter until both sides turn golden in color.
- Transfer the dates tempura on to a paper towel.
Ulli Chammanthi/Kunjulli Chammanthi- A very spicy and tasty chutney made of easily available shallots and dry chillies, Adding coconut oil gives a unique flavor to this dish. This combination goes well with Idly and Dosa. Also with kappa (cooked Tapioca or Cassava) or Kanji (Cooked rice). This finger licking Chammanthi is every keralites favourite. This is very easy to prepare so every working moms and bachelors can try out this tasty Chammanthi. You will really love this.
Ulli Chammanthi/ Chuttaracha Mulagu Chammanthi:
Time : 5 to 10 Mins
Shallots – 20
Dry red chillies – 5
Tamarind – a small piece
Curry leaves – few
Salt – to taste
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil and saute the dry red chillies along with curry leaves till the chillies turns dark brown (Don’t burn the chillies) and keep it aside.
Add shallots to the pan. Saute it well till it becomes golden brown.
Grind the chillies, curry leaves, salt and roasted shallots along with tamarind to a paste form. Do not add any water while grinding.
Transfer it to a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
Unniyappam or Unni Appam is a traditional Kerala sweet snack made from flour, banana, jaggery, coconuts and deep fried in ghee or oil. This is an instant recipe where you don’t want to wait till the batter gets fermented. So get into this instant snacks recipe.
Instant Unniappam Recipe:
Coconut – 1/2 Cup (chopped into small pieces)
Jaggery – 1 Cup
Water – As needed
Rice flour – 1 Cup
Whole wheat flour – 1 Cup
Ripe Banana – 2 small (palayankodan or any small banana)
Salt – a small pinch
Baking Soda – a large pinch
Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Roasted Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – For frying
- First heat a small pan. Add 1/2 tsp ghee. Roast the chopped coconut pieces until it turns slightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate and let it come to room temperature.
- To the same pan, add the jaggery along with 1/2 Cup of water.
- Heat in medium flame until the jaggery is completely melted.
- Filter the jaggery syrup through a fine metal mesh strainer and let it come to room temperature.
- Add rice flour, wheat flour, melted jaggery, bananas, salt and cardamom powder to the mixie.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add water if necessary to get the consistency of a idly batter.
Now, add baking soda, roasted sesame seeds and roasted coconut to the batter and mix well until combined.
- Now heat the unniappa chatti/ pan with some oil in each hole and fill 3/4th of the hole with prepared batter.
- Cook in low-medium flame until small holes appears on top and the side turns golden brown.
- Now flip the appam using the spatula or spoon and cook the other side until they are fully done.
- Check by inserting a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean, with no raw batter sticking to it. ( If you have no unniappam pan then u can directly deep fry in any kadai by pouring a tbsp batter)
Transfer to the serving plate and enjoy hot.
Carrot and Dates Cooker Cake :
Yes, you can definitely bake a cake in the pressure cooker but it’s not very good for your cooker and it may compromise its safety. Here is the recipe for a simple but extremely so tasty cake recipe baked in cooker.
Carrot and dates cake is a delicious moist cake. It is similar to that of plum cake version. It is a rich cake with carrots, dates and nuts. It is moist, flavorful and simple recipe.
Carrot and Dates Cooker Cake Recipe:
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Baking soda – 3/4 teaspoon
Salt – 1 pinch
Vegetable oil – 3/4 cup
Granulated Sugar – 3/4 cup
Egg – 2 numbers
Vanilla extract – 1/2 teaspoon
Grated carrot – 1 cup
Chopped dates – 1 cup
Chopped cashew nut / walnut – 1/2 cup
Granulated Sugar – 1/2 cup
Hot water – 1/4 cup
- Heat sugar in a dry pan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Make the Caramel dark and on the bitter side. The bitterness of the Caramel compliments this cake really well.
- Add hot water to the caramel. It will bubble up and be careful. Switch off the flame as soon as the caramel dissolves. Keep aside till it is cooled thoroughly.
Prepare Cooker to Bake :
Prior to the preparation of cake batter, first set your pressure cooker.
- A clean, dry pressure cooker must be filled with sand or salt at the bottom up to 2-3 inches.
- Remove the gasket from the cooker top.
- Also whistle or regulator must be removed.
- Cooker should be heated on a high flame in order to maintain a temperature as in a preheated oven. So preheat it atleast 10 mins.
- In the meantime we will prepare cake batter.
Prepare Cake Batter:
- Sieve flour together with baking soda. Keep aside.
- Mix and beat well the powdered sugar and oil. Add eggs, vanilla extract, caramelized sugar and beat well.
- Add chopped dates, cashews and grated carrot.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Next transfer the batter to the dusted baking tin.
Cake Baking in Cooker:
- Place the baking tin inside the preheated cooker and cook on a low flame for around 40-45 minutes.
- Keep checking in between to prevent burning.
- To check if it’s done, take a toothpick and pierce it through the cake.
- If it comes out clean, then cake is ready.
- Remove from baking tin and let it cool another hour on a wired rack. Enjoy 🙂
Kuttanadan Beef Roast:
Beef Varattiyathu – Kuttanadan Beef Roast is a traditional beef dish cooked in Kuttanadan style.
You will find a well cited Kuttanadan Beef Roast dish here. To achieve an authentic taste and flavour, only natural masalas are used in Kuttanadan Beef Roast.
Beef – 1/2 kg
Big Onion – 1(finely chopped)
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Green Chillies – 3
Curry leaves – plenty of
Coconut pieces – 2 tbsp
Red Cliili Flakes – 1 tbsp
Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Big Onion – 1
Ginger – 1 small piece
Garlic – 4 cloves
Green chillies – 2
Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
Chilly Powder – 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Eastern Meat Masala – 1/2 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 string
Tomato – 1 large
Coconut Oil – 4 tbsp
Clean and drain the cubed beef thoroughly using vinegar and salt.
Step 2: ( Masala Paste Preperation)
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and add cubed onion ,crushed ginger and garlic ,salt ,curry leaves and green chilly.
- Saute until the onion become light golden brown.
- Then add all powders one by one and saute in low flame.
- After that add tomato and cook well until the tomato becomes mushy.Remove from the stove.
- Keep aside and allow to cool.
- Then make a fine paste of this masala mix.
- Heat a heavy bottomed cooker and pour the masala paste along with beef pieces.
- Mix well and close the cooker and let the whistle come.
- Switch off the fire and open after 15 minutes.
- The cooking time varies depending up on the beef.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan ,add coconut slices ,fry till golden light brown shade.
- Then add finely chopped onion ,ginger and garlic paste , green chillies ,curry leaves and very less amount of salt.
- Saute well and finally add cooked beef to this onion mix.
- Mix well and roast till the beef is well coated with the masala. By this time u can see oil is coming out from the masala.
- Add plenty of curry leaves and finally add chilli flakes and pepper powder.
- So the delicious Beef roast is now ready.
Cabbage Egg Stir Fry:
his cabbage Egg fry is very easy to cook and one of the tasty dish. It’s a simple and easy combination dish. This is healthy too. Cabbage provides high levels of iron and Sulphur, minerals that work in part as cleansing agents for the digestive system. Here is one way of cooking this veggie. Both cabbage and eggs blended well with this recipe.This cabbage egg poriyal / stir fry is an dry preparation flavored with spices makes a delightful accompaniment to any South Indian main course.
You can also use this as a stuffing for chapathi rolls and sandwich too.
Shredded cabbage – 1.5 cups
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Tomato – 1 finely chopped
Eggs – 2
Green chillies – 2 chopped
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Coriander leaves – few
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and fennel seeds.
- Once mustard seeds splutter, add chopped onions, curry leaves and chopped green chillies.
- Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Now add shredded cabbage. Turn the flame to low.
- Cover and cook till cabbage turns soft, stirring at regular intervals.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and black pepper powder and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Toss in the chopped tomatoes and beaten eggs.
- Keep stirring the mixture, scrambling the eggs in the process.
- Once the eggs get cooked, sprinkle garam masala powder and coriander leaves.
- Fry for a minute and remove from heat.
Maladu is also known as Maa Ladoo or Roasted Gram Ladoo.
Maladu is a very popular and instant sweet which can be done in a few minutes. It is also one of the easiest sweet which can be made for any occasions. I have make slight changes by adding lot of nuts and raisins to give the maaladu some texture. It was very delicious with the raisins and cashew nuts. Today we will learn how to make maaladu.
Fried gram / Roasted bengal gram – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Ghee – 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp
Cashew – a handful
Raisins – a handful
Cardamom powder – 1tsp
- Semi roast fried gram in a dry pan.
- Allow to cool and grind to fine powder
- Powder the sugar separately.
- Roast cashew and raisins to golden using 2 tbsp ghee.
- Add powdered fried gram and sugar, cardamom powder to the frying pan.
- Keep the flame low and stir continuously.
- Melt the remaining ghee in another pan.
- Once the sugar powder combines, and rich aroma comes out, turn off the flame.
- Add warm ghee slowly, and combine well.
- Add ghee to the dough, till, you get the right consistency to make small ladoo balls.
- Apply oil in palms and make small ladoos.
- Yummy, delicious and healthy Maladu ready.
Soya Chunks Manchurian:
Soya chunks manchurian a semi dry recipe! Soya chunks/ soya nuggets is a great source of protein and fibre which is very healthy food that can be added as a side dish to any menu.
Use soak or even boil the soya nuggets before deep frying. Soya nuggets is always recommended to wash it before using. Here I have deep fried the soy nuggets till crisp, but it can also be pan fried or shallow fried too.
Some of the manchurian based recipes are GOBI MANCHURIAN, VEG MANCHURIAN, IDLI MANCHURIAN, PANEER MANCHURIAN, POTATO MANCHURIAN You can serve them with other bread based recipes if you are bored of regular chapati or puri.
Off to making of Soy chunks manchurian recipe. This is a dry soya manchurian recipe.
For Soy Chunks:
Soya chunks – 200gm
Hot water, to soak
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
Corn flour – 3 tbsp
All-purpose flour – 2 tbs
Kashmiri red chilli powder – tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Oil – 2 tsp
Garlic – 10 clove finely chopped
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Spring onions few chopped
Capsicum – 1 chopped
Chilli sauce – 1 tbsp
Vinegar – 1tbsp
Tomato sauce – 2 tbsp
Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- First soak soy chunks in hot water, for 7 to 10 minutes.
- After soaking, squeeze out the water from soya and transfer to bowl.
- Further add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 3 tbsp corn flour, 2 tbsp all purpose flour, 1 tsp chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Marinate for atleast 15 mins
- Further, deep dry or shallow fry in hot oil.
- Stir occasionally, and fry till soya turns crisp.
- Drain out the fried soya and keep aside.
- Now in a large pan, heat 2 tsp oil and saute garlic.
- Further add chopped onion and capsicum. saute well.
- Finally add chilli sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, tomato sauce and salt to taste. Mix everything well.
- Now add in fried soya chunks and mix well.
- Finally, garnish soya chunks manchurian with chopped spring onions.